Wednesday, January 26, 2011

snow ... again

We have another beautiful snow fall this morning. Riley's day care is open two hours late, so I'm waiting for her to wake up. I think the storm is about done, and we've gotten about 3 inches, which is the most so far this year.






Here's the front of the house. The tracks are from Jason's truck when he left.



We had some excitement on Sunday. Jason noticed several vultures flying around our property. I didn't get a final count, but it seemed like about twenty. The pictures don't really due it justice. I had a hard time zooming in and getting a picture. Jason, being the brave one, walked out there to investigate. He said there was some small animal that had died, but he couldn't tell what it was. The birds were very large, and Jason thought the wingspan was about 5 feet. They hung around for several hours.



Several landed in the trees, and hung out for a while.


One was showing off, but spreading it's wings for the others.



Luckily the birds went away, and didn't bother us. A couple flew over the pool, which was a little too close for me. Why do I live in the country??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's more snow than we got in Palm Springs! By the way, the birds appear to be Turkey Vultures. They're pretty harmless, but if the feel like you're going to take away their food, they can "power puke". Projectile vomit considering they are already eating something rotting, has got to be pretty rank stuff. Gramps

Jason said...

They were turkey vultures, I got most of the way out there and they all took off. But! The golden eagle did not, he just stood his ground. Him I didn't want to mess with.

I didn't even know golden eagles came out this way but I read that the golden eagle is a regular winter visitor here.